Chronicles of a Corporate Intern

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Weddings and Work

Yesterday was my boyfriend's 21st birthday.
It was also his cousin's wedding reception.
A bit selfish of her, perhaps, but we had fun (and he got his beer).

They had their wedding in Jamaica and it looked absolutely beautiful. On a beach, in the sun. The only thing that could've made it better was a horse or two.

All of us silly little girls plan out our weddings. I don't even know why - I've never been the kind of girl who's in a hurry to get married or start a family. I don't even know if I want to start a family. Not to say I'm completely giving up on the idea, I just don't feel that that's a decision I'm ready to make nor a decision I should make on my own.

As a pretty ambitious young lady, academic-focused and career-driven, I still have my strange little domestic dreams. Like to have a giant log-style house in the forest, with 2 horses and 2 mules in the back, and to own a '67 t-top Camaro so I can make my Jeep into an honest-to-God ORV (that counts as a domestic dream, right?).

As such, I still have my dream wedding. And they pretty damn near hit the mark - a small wedding on a beach somewhere warm, or in the mountains; an exotic honeymoon; then a huge, fun reception somewhere meaningful.

And it makes me wonder - why do we have these dreams?

If I haven't made it clear, I'm not exactly the type of girl to think about this stuff. Not to say I'm not a sop and a total romantic, 'cause that'd be a lie. I'm creative and dreamy - but I've always considered men relatively disposable.

I should be careful with that, because the man I'm with is one I'm madly in love with and never ever want to lose and plan to keep for as long as he'll have me (finally one I'm willing to put effort in for and am willing to drop the walls for, that's a first).

But I was always taught that career comes before men, and that I should always be able to stand on my own two feet. And I plan to remember that - maybe less so the career comes before men, because honestly, if I'm in a happy marriage I'd keep the happy marriage over the career (oh yes, you heard me, I admitted it, love before money.). But I will always always be able to stand on my own two feet. I don't want a man I need as much as I want a man I want.

Labels: , ,

Miasma had time at 2:16 PM

2 Comments:

I had my wedding reception in Venezuela. Unfortunately, it was ruined by my unnamed son, who was killed by a Peruvian mafia for the unpaid debts he wracked up gambling...

July 6, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

That sounds like a very exciting wedding recepetion.

Though, judging by your profile, I'm willing to bet most of your life is equally as exciting.

I wouldn't piss Canada off too much, 'cause once WWIII comes they're taking over. Right now they're just biding their time, waiting for the opportune moment...

July 9, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home