Chronicles of a Corporate Intern

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An Epic Day

Yes, that is the word I have chosen: Epic.

Today was epic.

Not necessarily the good kind of epic, but epic, none-the-less.

Let me walk you through this, step by step.

I headed home from Renton last night and fought my way through stop and go traffic. Why? Oh yeah, because 405 North is under construction and I ALWAYS forget.

So I get home at around 12:30 (I left around 11:00). Awesome, yeah? An hour goofing around and dragging my feet, an hour tossing and turning in bed, asleep by 2:30. No big deal, I can sleep in a little because I haven't got much work... But my battered, broken body has other plans.

I wake up 2 hours later, at 4:30, with pain and pressure in my ear. Now, I'm no stranger to pain, and usually if I ignore it long enough it goes away. So, I lay there for an hour, waiting for it to go away, but no. Send a text to Dan, and lay back down, waiting for it to go away, but no. So I lay there for another 2 hours, and finally start drifting back to sleep around 7:30. And there I lay, dozing, never fully asleep, but not really awake either, until 9:30.

At this point I decide this is probably bad, so I give my doctor's office a call and tell them I want their earliest appointment available. It's with the PA, but that's okay, because an RN treated my ulcerative colitis when no one else could. So into the doctor's office I go.

Now - the only reason I have this doctor is because of a viral infection in my lungs that caused a respratory infection that prevented me from breathing. This happened in the past month or two. Un-cool. And now I'm back again. Woohoo!

The PA, a very nice lady if I may say so, informed me that I have an ear infection that has created a hole in my ear-drum. Awesome. So she prescribed me some super-strong antibiotics and told me to come back in a couple weeks for a hearing test and let her know it didn't work. And next time don't ignore chronic ear-pain for a year. (Apparently it's a dumb thing to do, who knew?)

So - back home I go, contemplating the fact that I have had 3 infections in the past 2 months. So what do I do? Ring up my gastroenterologist - "Uhhh, is there a link between colitis and the immune system?". Of course, I have to play phone tag for a couple hours before I finally get the question to someone who can get the question to someone who can answer it (It had to go through two other people first).

While waiting for the person who can get the question to someone who can answer to get the question to someone who can answer it I decided to head down and pick up my prescription. So I mozy into my Safeway pharmacy, where I get my Asacol refills - a place I've used enough times that I wasn't too concerened about it.

They grab my prescription and ring me up - $20. Sweet, that's okay, 'cause I have $300 in my bank account and a check! Yeah, except not. My debit card gets denied. So, slightly confused, I run it as credit; denied.

Now, at this point I'm freaking out. I think I had the right to do so, apologizing to the pharmacist and telling him I had to call the bank I step off to the side and pull out my handy little PDA-style super-fantastic overly-pimped-out phone and head to my online banking.

Available Balance: $289.90 - Correct
Pending Balance: $-91.90 - Not So Correct

What the fuck?

Freaking out even more I booked it home (a short drive luckily, because I was having trouble keeping myself composed), and spend about 3 minutes panicking. I phone the bank and get put on hold, and then get put on hold again, and then get put on hold again, and for good measure, get put on hold a fourth time. (It was okay though, their hold music was instrumentalized gussied up Backstreet Boys songs - and oh yes, I was totally singing along, out of tune.) Explaining my situation yet again, I was informed that the transaction already went through, and they talked to my branch and they won't have any more information until tomorrow.
What the fuck?

I HAVE BLOODY FRAUD ALERT. That, of course, didn't occur to me at the moment. At the moment is more of a "Uhhh... What?", so I thanked the lady, hung up the phone, and sat in stunned silence for a few minutes.

And then I did what any composed, grown up young lady would do. I cried and called my daddy and my boyfriend.

My dad came home and lent me $10 to go get my prescriptions (I had $15 in cash in my wallet from bowling the other night). So I took a shower and headed out to get my prescriptions - which were still on the counter waiting for me - by which point it was 4:00. I left immediatly after that to make it to Renton by 5:00.

My evening faired well, luckily. (I even remembered to take I-5 home instead of 405, and I had leftover wedding cake, and I get to yell at bank people tomorrow for not calling me despite the fraud alert tag I know is on my bank account, since I do pay LifeLock $10 a month to make sure it's on my bank account. Idiot bankers.)

One thing though: Do you see work in there anywhere?
No, me niether.
My boss going to be unimpressed.

Labels: , , ,

Miasma had time at 12:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home