Chronicles of a Corporate Intern

Thursday, May 29, 2008

"The Sarge"

I work at the same company as my father. How else would I have gotten my job if it weren't for Daddy the Mid-Level Project Manager/Software Architect?

His protege lives in the cube next to me. A guy named Chad who smokes cigarettes from an orange container and drives a little light blue VW Bug. They go out to lunch once a week and talk geek talk, the only language my dad knows.

Even though we work at the same company, my dad's cube is in the second building, so it's not like he's always around. This I'm thankful for, since I worked in my mom's office last year and she drove me crazy.

Finding himself in my building for meetings he dropped by my office this morning. Overrun with case summaries and stress I was a little less congenial than usual, but we still had a nice chat. As he walked away Chad said loudly, "Then there's Bruce. He always makes us work too hard and too much and gives us these crazy deadlines we could never meet." Or something to that effect.

My Dad laughed and kept walking, while Chad and his buddies resumed a much quieter conversation regarding my father's actual status in their little word. "The Sarge" they called him, a play off our last name that I have heard many times.

Maybe I'm a little more like my Daddy than I thought.

Not that we're bossy, per se, we just like to see things done when we want them to be. I'd like to think I taught him everything he knows about that.

Labels: ,

Miasma had time at 12:19 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home